Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Life is life no matter where you live it

Although this semester is quite a bit different than my typical time at Williams, it's still life.  I still have to wash clothes....just by hand.  I still eat in a cafeteria for lunch everyday...there's just a lot less options (rice, beans, and bananas).  And I still have a family.  I'm pretty sure my family will be my favorite part about my time in Uganda.

My Father, Reverend Henry is the pastor for the Church of Uganda and looks two times younger than what he is.  My Mothers name is Irene, and she keeps the house all tied together along with Rev. Henry's two sisters: Jessica and Bekah.  Jessica is 24 and Bekah is 22...they do most of the cooking.  Irene and Henry only have 2 actual children: Enoch (age 5) and Elezar (8 months).  Our house has three bed rooms, two bathrooms, one "kitchen" sink, a living room/eating area, and a small room for ironing clothes.   In Uganda it is very common to take in extra children/teens as well, so my family not only has Jessica, Bekah, Enoch, Elezar, and me living there, but 2 young men as well.  The two guys live in a small building behind our house, but shares meals with us.  They are all absolutely precious!

Although I'm used to dorm life, spending the evenings helping make dinner and playng with my little brothers is the highlight of my day.  Life is still life here in Uganda....it just looks a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment