Wednesday, March 30, 2011

All the way, right away, with a happy heart

Obedience, a theme painted all throughout the Bible and our day to day lives.

  As I have said before, I like to have things planned out, organized, and ready to be done before I can even rethink the upcoming events.  I have realized that my plans are all too often trumped by something bigger, better, and more radical in God's scheme of things.  I never planned to spend a semester in Uganda.....I planned to fly through four years of college and do something with my life, but that's the problem.  I focused on future tense things instead of considering what I am doing in the now.

In James we are told not to brag about the future because we claim it as our own instead of listening for and obeying God's voice (or even considering His plan).  When I planned the next several years of my life absolutely none of what I am doing now was listed.  As God pointed me in a different directions than what I had planned it frustrated me....I knew this would make things harder.  But we aren't promised an easy route.  We are just told to be obedient to His call.  The best definition of obedience I have ever been given is "all the way, right away, with a happy heart".  When God tells us to do something we are to obey....it's as simple as that.  "Anyone, then who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it sins." James 4:17

Being someone that wants to know the layout for my entire life, I often ask God what He wants from me, but the truth is I already know.....we have an entire book dedicated to instructing us in how to live.  We ask not because we do not know, but because we are hoping somehow God will change his mind to match what we have already planned for our own lives.

" He has showed you, O man, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God". Micah 6:8

When you commit to something you do it all the way, when it matters to you, you do it right away, when you realize it's worth, you do it with a happy heart regardless of what the request or instruction is. When God speaks, I want to respond in obedience, not regret.  Obedience, after all does not require understanding, but action.


All the way, right away, with a happy heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGAnIIyaqw

No comments:

Post a Comment