Wednesday, April 26, 2017

What Are You Full Of?


A few days ago I bought this GIGANTIC grapefruit and being the nerd I am, I was super excited about it! Well, I finally got around to cutting it open this morning and was majorly disappointed. Not only was the rind super thick (we’re talking a half-inch here), resulting is less “meat”, but the flavor overall was subpar at best.

But what a reminder that what appears may not be what actually is and that it’s what’s on the inside that really matters.  Friends, what are you full of today?

More often than not we live our day to day lives hoping that no one will catch on to the facade that we hope to portray…We’re really good at acting like everything is ok and that we’re rocking this whole “growing disciple” thing. 

In his letter to the Church at Rome, Paul prays for the God of hope to fill them “with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit”. (Romans 15:14)

It’s clear that Paul already knew what I’m continuing to learn: what you put into your heart and mind will flow out into your life.  What you are full of is a clear depiction of who you really are; not what you choose to look like via your outward appearance. 

From the outside, this gargantuan grapefruit had TONS of promising potential, but once I took a deeper look, I realized this grapefruit was shallow and bitter.  And while it was clearly still a grapefruit, it was definitely not as good as it could have been or was intended to be.

Paul continues in saying “I myself am convinced, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, complete in knowledge and competent to instruct one another.” (Romans 15:15).  As a believer, you have SO much potential in Christ! Is it super easy to just do enough to get by and uphold appearances?

Sure. But what if we take a deeper look?  Would others-scratch that-would the Lord be pleased by what you’re full of?

My prayer today is that we would all be filled to overflowing; that we wouldn’t be caught up in maintaining a façade because we have the real deal; the best fruit imaginable…not just a pretty appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment