Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Think I Caught Something in Africa


P.U.S.D. Post Uganda Sadness Disorder.  It may not be clinically proven, but it's real.  I didn't know what to expect when it came to my return to the States, but after being home for a few weeks I would definitely say it covers a wide range of emotions.  It's not that I don't want to be back at Williams or even back in the States-honestly, I have enjoyed seeing everyone and value the time I spend with others all the more after discovering so much about relationships in Uganda.....It's the small things that make me sad-Like the lack of warmth, the pace of life here, not seeing my precious little brothers every morning, and yes, I even miss the simple food and lack of options.  I guess rice and beans has become a newfound "comfort food" for me.  

The hardest part about being back is answering all the questions.  My personal two favorites are "How was Uganda?" and "What's next?".  I just don't know how to explain four outrageously incredible months of my life in one sitting.  Honestly, I feel like a lot of it hasn't even sunk in yet.  And then the question that every soon-to-be college grad dreads.....what does the future hold for me?  Where do I see myself in 5 years?  What's next?  

I have pretty much avoided giving a direct answer to that question and me not knowing is only the tip of that iceberg.  One thing Uganda taught me in both deciding to go there and staying there for a prolonged amount of time is that God is going to use you no matter what "path" you choose.  Being such a planner, this is quite the challenge for me, but I know whatever God has up his sleeve is better than what I could muster up on my own.  Instead of dwelling on the future, Uganda taught me to invest in the here and now.  

On the other hand, being back to the States has been quite the adventure.  Over the course of three weeks I have moved back into the dorms for my last semester of college, figured out a couple of next steps in life, and baked like there's no tomorrow! I think I missed stoves a little more than I realized.  It’s been great reliving the past five months as I tell stories about what I encountered and how much Uganda (and Africa as a whole) has stolen my heart.  

2 comments:

  1. Webale Nnyo mukwano gwange. Thank you my friend. You put to words what I cannot, and I am grateful. Thank you for your insights and articulation. All I can say is: keep baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wesley,you probably don't remember me but I used to go to Grace Baptist in Camden. I now live back in Texas. I happend to come across your blog through the Grace website and I was blown away. What an experience and thanks for sharing with us. I plan to go back and read all your posts, very interesting. May God bless you and use you in a mighty way. Betty Woodward

    ReplyDelete