Thursday, October 6, 2011

Decisions, or lack there of....

Life is so different here in Uganda compared to the way a typical day pans out back in the States.  When i wake up in the morning here I spend 5 seconds at the most-picking from my 8 shirts-which one I want to wear for the day.  Back home I would have my clothing picked out the night before and proceed to change my mind at least 4 times the next morning.  Of course having less options makes the decision making process much easier (and shorter), but my limits here are by choice.  I have way too much stuff back home, but that's just it....back home.

For the Ugandans this is home, what you see is all there is: no more, no less.  While living here for the semester even when I miss an abundance of items, I have the comforting reminder that I will return to all my un-needed accessories within a few months..... I guess that is exactly how an American is expected to respond to poverty.

Being here has changed my thoughts on the "necessities" of life.  After being here for over a month simplicity has become a beautiful thing.  Even food options are limited here. During lunch at school we have the choice of rice and beans or rice and beef flavored soup.  I can tell you the variety of foods we have at home in a week on one hand.  If I were back at Williams this semester I wouldn't even eat the same thing within a two week span of time.

Instead of spending so much time deciding on what to wear, or eat or where to go this weekend, I am spending my time trying to figure out how to serve God more, how to love these people more, how to make every day worth while.

"He must become greater and greater and I must become less and less" John 3:30

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how we learn to live without in response to our situation? I love hearing about what you are doing!
    It's also easier to live without when you don't know about it. I remember living without a cell phone 'cause they didn't exist!! I most certainly can't imagine not being able to call most people instantly now that I have one...
    We were reading Little House on the Prairie and Ma was writing to folks back home in the Fall so they could write over the winter and send it in the spring...oh my goodness! I can't imagine it, but know that life was like that! I would have to wait months to hear about your adventures...love the technology, but don't like what it's done to my patience!! I love you...take care and hug some people for me....

    ReplyDelete